Start a new topic

How to change Forte from 32 to 64 bit

I thought I'd switch over to 64 bit Forte as some of my plugins take a long time to load. I understood that Forte 64 would load my 32 bit rack seemlessly, but no way. Some plugins would not sound, others played badly and many of my plugins could not be found. Q1 - Is there a painless way to do this? Q2 -Is there a step by step guide on the conversion? I also need to convert 32 bit plugins to 64 and have jBridge for this purpose. If I can't get it right, I may have to go back to 32 bit and suffer some long load times. Any help would be much appreciated.

Crashing on closing is still happening. Forte gives the message "Forte has stopped working". It opens ok the next time and works alright but seems to give the message after a long editing session. I am using version 4.5.3.5. Also, I have noticed that this 64 bit version takes a few seconds longer to change scenes compared to the 32 bit version I upgraded from. This surprises me as I thought having more ram available would speed things up. Am I wrong here? Mike, I would appreciate any input from you please.

I have a feature I'm adding to 4.5 (beta should be updated very soon) that has a step by step plugin replacer.  This plugin replace experience is not good and it's a priority to get it fixed.

If you wish, you can send me your rack file and both plugins.xml and plugins64.xml (email to support with a good subject line to help me correlate that to this).  I can take a look and do the edit for you.

I can't say where your rack file is but the plugins.xml and plugins64.xml are in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Brainspawn\forte 4.

Mike

Mike, I also get the forte has stopped working message when closing a rack sometimes.  And it does seem like it's after I've had the rack open and have been playing for some time, maybe an hour to up to 4 hours.  I mostly see it at the end of a gig, where the rack may be on for 3 to 4 hours without a restart of forte.  I usually restart forte between each set, partly for this reason.  

Got fed up with trying to make Forte 64 bit work. So to get me through the next gig, I reloaded the 32bit version via a drive image. I have still have the 64 bit version as another drive image. The reason to switch to 64 bit was to allow the loading of larger VSTs needing more ram. The one giving trouble is Kontakt 5 which I had never used before. I know there was some forum discussion about K5 some time ago, long before I bought it, so I never checked it out. I've done a batch resave for the plugins but Forte just hangs and will not load. Or goes the other way and will not shut down. Are there any other tricks re K5 to try before I send the files to Mike (and thank you for the offer Mike)

I know this seems complicated, but at the core its maybe too simple.  Forte loads plugins based upon the CLSID string found in the rack file (XML text) and the plugin database (plugins.xml and plugins64.xml).

The Plugin Manager, which discovers plugins, scans folders and builds one of two files:  plugins.xml = 32 bit,  plugins64.xml = 64 bit. So if you just install Forte 32 bit and 64 bit and run both plugin managers you will have both files and could then compare them to see if different CLSIDs were being created for each. For VSTs the CLSID is generated by Forte based upon VST ID + VST DLL name.  So having different DLL names would result in different CLSID strings between 32 and 64 bit databases.

The rack simply refers to a CLSID (doesn't care if 32 or 64 bit.)  If you load 64 bit forte and load your rack that used to work on 32 bit, it might not find the 64 bit plugin if the CLSID is different.

To fix this, you could load the Rack file XML in a text editor, and do a search/replace on the old CLSID.

I really hope to add a new/better plugin replacer feature soon.

Oh man, all I want to do is play music. The number of hours I have to spend programming compared to actual playing time is about 10 to 1.
Thanks for the reply Mike. I guess I'll have a go at your suggestion if I can find the Rack file XML. I looked in Brainspawn>Forte 4 after turning on show hidden files, but I cant find the rack file. Where do I find it please? If I do manage to edit it, will it stop the "Forte is not responding" messages? And will it speed up scene change/load times? If not, I may as well just go back to the 32 bit version.

I ask again - Are there any tricks with using Kontakt 5 in Forte to make it load more quickly and function more reliably?
Don't know what to say...I'm using K5 A LOT in my racks. No issues. It is "just" the issues with forte opening and closing that you're asking about (which I know nothing about) or general optimizations for using K5?
Strange, don't recognize this from the time I migrated (which is a long time ago). In order to use plugins with jbridge you have to either check the option to auto bridge 32bit plugins in the Plugin Manager or generate a bridged dll using jbridge's GUI and put those in forte's scanned folders. Did you use one of those options?
Yes, just the opening and closing. I have RealiLadies which is 2.5 gig and this seems to stall Forte. Mind you my Surface Pro i5 has just 8 gig ram. Could this be the problem?
I've just re-read your post. I'd be keen to hear of any optimisations that may help.
I gave up on this for a while but had another go this morning. Forte keeps crashing on exit without the option of a crash report. I trimmed the rack but this has not helped. Because my guitar rack is running reliably on 32 bit, I thought I'd try and run a 64 bit version for the other rack that needs more memory. But alas, the instal just replaced the current one. I even tried running V3 64bit alongside V4 32bit but that just got over written as well. Forte is just not liking the importing of a 32bit rack while it is in 64 bit configuration. Short of doing a dual boot i.e. a separate partition for each rack, it's there anything else I can do with this?

Ok great. There's a few things you do in/with Kontakt to make it run smoother (mind you this won't fix the opening/closing problems).

1. Exclude Kontakt from receiving blobs on scene change and use Kontakt's banks with bank change+program change messages on scene change to switch sounds.

2. Disable Kontakt's own Multiprocessor support as forte is already itself optimized for multicore processing.

3. Lower the Instrument preload buffer size in Kontakt. Depends on your cpu and if you use SSD's how low you can set this. You should be able to set it to at least 30kB from the default 60kB.

4. Run your Kontakt instruments fully purged. You can try this if you have a sufficiently fast CPU and run off SSD's. The idea is that all your Kontakt instruments don't have any samples loaded and load only te required samples as you play.

Another option is to purge the instruments, play through your piece(s) once to load only the required samples and then save again, so the instruments are ready to play with only the samples you actually use.

If you have JBridge, you can load 32 bit plugins into x64 Forte.  However, although its a good product it complicates the setup and creates more uncertainty when something goes wrong.  Typically if you go to 64-bit plugins, I'd recommend you should probably just go to 64-bit plugins too.

If the plugins are the same DLL name and plugin ID, the same plugin CLSID would be generated and it should just work.  If the plugin DLL Name is different it may require a rack edit or adaptation to replace plugin identifiers in the rack file.

Login or Signup to post a comment